Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

I love my children and take GREAT JOY in them.

Do your children know you take JOY in them? If someone came up and said "Your Momma would be so much happier if you weren't around" would your children believe them or would they laugh in disbelief?

I try to constantly tell my children that I love them. I tell them I am happy to be their Momma. I try to make this painfully true, especially during times when they are disobedient. I let them know even though I do not like what they have done, that I still love them, and NOTHING they ever do can make me stop loving them.

But love to a child is so much more than WORDS. It is ACTIONS.

Do your actions tell your children that you love them and take great joy in them?
Are you easily irritated at the little things they do or messes they make, or do you find joy in their joy and clean up together?
Do you spend more time doing "Mommy" things than doing what your children want to do (coloring together, building legos or blocks together, etc.)?
What are YOUR actions telling your children?

Being a mother is a WONDERFUL GIFT from God. And not one to be taken for granted. Today of all days, I am taking time to reflect on the past year of mothering and what changes I need to make. I want my children to delight in me and for me to always delight in them. I know it is supposed to be a time of celebration of being a mother, and I AM celebrating today with my family (as I hope you are too). But I also want to be the best mother I can be. I want my children to rise up and call me blessed. And that doesn't just happen because I am a mom. As with all things, being a mom, a GOOD mom, takes work. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fully agree with all your closing thoughts. Your questions do make one pause to think. I believe my actions do speak my love but I'm sure that I can use some refining too.

Shereen said...

It looks like we had the same ideas. I sat and thought about areas that I need to pray about and ask the Lord to help me. I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day.