Thursday, May 31, 2007

Does Your Husband Trust You?

The heart of her husband safely trusts her; so he will have no lack of gain.
Proverbs 31:11

What woman doesn't aspire to be the Proverbs 31 woman? Even though I had been a Christian for over two years when I married (my beloved is the one who actually brought me to a saving knowledge of the grace of Jesus), I had never heard about the Proverbs 31 woman until my wedding day. I had asked a godly woman friend of mine to share a Bible verse that would be good for me to meditate on as a newly married woman. She asked to think about it. And on my wedding day, while saying our goodbyes, she drew me in close, hugged me, and told me that the verse I needed was Proverbs 31.

Well eventually I read Proverbs 31 and was worried. I wondered if my beloved had read that before he proposed if we would have been married at all! LOL! I did not live up to ANYTHING in that chapter! LOL!

But slowly, over time, I have tried more and more to be that woman for my beloved. And one of the verses I chose to work on first was the winning the trust of my husband. I wasn't a good cook, didn't sew or do anything with my hands, had no idea how to reach out to the poor, and was NOT good at waking up in the morning. I was not good at keeping my tongue, speaking with wisdom, or dying to myself to always be doing him good. So it seemed like the trust was a good one to start with.

You see, I grew up lying. In fact, I was REALLY good at it. And I had done it for so long, that my conscious was no longer seared by it. But shortly after becoming a Christian, I started feeling a conviction every time I lied. Even those little "white" lies. I realized that I really needed to change. Not just because I didn't like this searing feeling I got every time I lied, but because I realized that God was displeased when I lied. He calls lying an abomination, and He did not use that word lightly in His word.

So I went cold turkey. No more lying.

It is still a struggle, almost 11 years later, not to lie. I will sometimes even have to correct myself mid sentence in order to avoid lying. It is VERY humbling (and admittedly embarrassing), but it has been worth it. You see, it has been so long since I have lied that my husband completely trusts me. (And I say this knowing full well that it is still a struggle and something I constantly have to be aware of lest I slip and fall.)

Now that trust in me is a scary thing (as I recently found out). My husband had asked me when the wildflowers were most prominent in Colorado so he can take pictures. I told him that I had just read that and it was mid June. So he calls work and asks for a week in mid June off. WOW! That is a great thing, right? Well not really. Because I had mistakenly remembered June when in actuality it was mid JULY that the wildflowers are in abundance.

This showed me just how far reaching my husband's trust of me is. And how I need to make sure that even in the little things - like which "J" month has an abundance of wildflowers in bloom - I need to make sure I have my facts straight BEFORE presenting them to my husband. His trust in me is a precious thing and I do not want to lose it because I have my facts mixed up. :)

1 comment:

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

I am blessed with my husband's trust. You are right that it can be a scary thing to have someone trust you so completely. It's also such a huge, amazing blessing.

May God bless you for trying to become like the Proverbs 31 woman. It is my goal as well.