In HomeGrown Kids, the Moore's talk about nipping temper tantrums before they start. They said to "maintain a quiet, simple environment" [emphasis mine].
The other day my daughter was wearing a fancy dress. It was a flower girls dress gotten a GoodWill for two bucks. My daughter needed to change out of it for a doctor appointment. When I gave her a dress she could wear, she said that it was not as pretty and that she wanted a fancy dress (reminded me of Anne of Green Gables who wanted puffed sleeves). I had read a long time ago about having all the dresses basically the same - a very simple attire. I can now see the value in that, and plan on sewing all my girls dresses and making them all similar in nature. T-shirt dresses at first (as those are the easiest, and I am not the best sewer) and then in time I will start working on patterns that I have collected in the hopes of someday sewing them.
My husband commented that I would not have the time to sew. I think the reason I don't have the time right now to sew is because not only is the house so disorganized with so much STUFF, but WE are so disorganized.
Some things I want to do:
- Dresser, children's - They already each have their individual drawers. I need to organize the girl's dresser drawers with slots or something. A place for socks, a place for panties, a place for bloomers, a place for nightgowns, and a place for shirts.
- Closet, children's - a limit of ten dresses per child (gives enough for one a day till laundry day, plus an extra two just in case)
- Books and games - really need to figure a way to organize these!
- Fabric/sewing room - need to find a way to organize this too. I have a feeling if this was organized I would not be buying as much fabric AND I would be getting more sewing done. AND I would be able to teach my oldest to sew.
- Pantry - we have way too much food in the house that is unhealthy (canned, with gluten that we don't eat anymore, etc.). I need to just gather everything up and give it to a local food bank.
- Determine what to REALLY keep. We have so much stuff. We got rid of half of everything we owned and we still have enough we could do it again. I have a dear friend who packed, moved and unpacked all within three days! I really REALLY want to have less stuff. It will not only make it easier to keep the house clean and organized, but will also help all of us not to be so materialistic or overwhelmed.
- Find my schedule, re-tune it and FOLLOW IT!