Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Abundance of Your Heart

So in continuing to think about what I want to accomplish in my life, being the ultimate craft mom is NOT it. And yet, how much time do I spend surfing the net finding cute and fun things to make with/for the children? The Bible says that out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.

But I also think that out of the abundance of your heart is where you spend most of your time. Do I spend more time with my kids, or on the computer? Do I spend more time searching for crafts, or learning about things that are really important to me? I am so lazy. I learn about things that are easy and fun rather than difficult and necessary.

Now please do not get me wrong. Remember this blog is really just my ramblings for me and for my children (when they grow up). I am not saying that I cannot spend my time on something I enjoy, like crafts. But if my ultimate goal is to be self-sufficient and live simply, spending 90% of my time on the computer searching for crafts and 10% on learning about how to live simply and frugally... I am not accomplishing the goal I have set for myself.

SO, I have decided to cut back even more on the blogs I read. I am going to create a folder in my feed reader for "blogs to read when I have time." The rest of the blogs that will be left in the main part of the reader will be the few that really help and encourage me in things that I really want to learn and pass on to my children. Along with those will be a few web pages/forums that have helped me and I know will continue to help me.

If I spend less time searching through fluff to find stuff that is not helping me to accomplish my goals, then I will have more time to read and search out the things that are important to me. Things like:
*reducing our utility bill (water, wastewater, electricity, gas)
*gardening
*relying more on herbs and less on the doctor
*spending less money all around and actually building up a savings for when beloved retires/loses his job
*living frugally
*being more self-sufficent
*selling stuff on ebay and make more money than selling it in a garage sale

All that being said, this past weekend I had a wonderful time teaching EE to crochet (she can now do ch and sc, YEAH!!!!) and how to finger knit. She is so loving it, and it has been fun. I also created a dishcloth pattern that I have been using and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! So, see, there IS a balance. :)

-=-=-=-
Three things I am thankful for:
*EE enjoying crafts - it is good for her to learn to MAKE things rather than buy them, and to get joy in what you create
*Balance - I love spending time with my kids. I enjoy enjoying them. :) It is good to learn, and have them learn with me, but it is equally important to ENJOY each other. :)
*God's hand upon our family

No comments: