Friday, February 1, 2008

Friday's Fun: NO TV week

Every so often, we turn off the TV for the whole week. The girls usually only watch videos, but sometimes I get caught up in a TV show. And hubby loves to watch videos. So all TV's went off (and no computer or video games).

And it was wonderful! I love how well my children receive the NO TV or video games weeks we have. They actually seem happy about it.

Day one was Monday, and immediately up came the checkers board. We were very blessed to get a HUGE cloth fabric board with the big pieces for 50 cents at a garage sale. There is just SOMETHING about this BIG over the small tiny one that really encourages them to play. I was told the same thing about chess. Something about the BIGNESS of it makes them WANT to play.

Every day the children were excited to play games WITH each other and with me. I was not once asked to watch TV. And I was amazed at how often they wanted to play WITH each other (compared to the TV watching weeks were they seem to want a lot more alone time). My MM (4 1/2 years old) actually BEAT ME at checkers! I gave her one king, and that was all it took. I played my best. I couldn't believe it! And that smile on her face afterwards was PRICELESS!!!

The Pearls say that if you are going to remove a negative influence (like TV or video games), give them a motivation to by providing something much more fun and interesting. We love games. And you can have a lot of fun with board games.

-=-=-=-
Three things I am thankful for:
a husband who is more understanding than I deserve
children who are more forgiving than I deserve
A God is is so good to me and blesses me beyond measure

No comments: