Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving

Oh where oh where did I read it? Something about how when we do not give thanks to God, we cannot truly be happy because ... something about selfishness and unhappiness. Oh well. I will see if I can find it and write it here as eloquently as that person did (I am pretty sure it was a book I have as I have had little to no time on the computer).

We have been busy busy BUSY getting our house ready for Thanksgiving (we had a family over who also stayed the night with us) as well as ready for my mother's arrival in just a few days now!

My mom is not a Christian. Yet she has one of the most servant hearts I have ever witnessed. And since I grew up never having to do any housework, my house has sadly always shown that I do not know how to be a keeper at home. And so when my mom comes to visit, she always spend so much time cleaning my house for me. I am so thankful that I recently learned the importance of cleaning. This visit will be one where she can ENJOY us. There will still be dishes for her to do (after every meal) and laundry for her to help with (as the kids go through clothes daily), and if there wasn't, that servant spirit in her might drive her crazy. LOL!

It feels so GOOD to have the house clean! And to know that this time is different. This time it will only continue to get cleaner as we continue to declutter. I feel like I have finally been set free!

Which brings me back to thankfulness (see, I do have a point here). :)

We have been given so much. True, a lot of it is junk. We have not been very good stewards of the money God has given us. We spent money on lots of little things at garage sales and the house has become overrun with things. And so have our hearts. I especially notice it in the children (funny how our sin always seems worse on someone else). :) They have so much that they don't know what it means to be thankful.

I want to start gratitude journals for each of the girls. At the end of the day, before our family evenings start, we will write for a few minutes in our journals. Each sentence will start "I am thankful to God for..." and then they can fill in the rest. I want them to learn not just to be thankful, but WHO to be thankful to. I want them to know that EVERY good gift comes from the Father above.

No comments: