Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Looking Forward to Christmas

It has always been tradition in our family (well, Brian and us) to not start playing Christmas carols until the day after Thanksgiving. (I believe his family is the same way, and we never played much music in our house, I cannot recall listening to Christmas carols except for Christmas morning.) But this year is different. Brian has already requested to bring out the Christmas CD's (and movies). I even notice that Christian radio stations are playing the music earlier than normal.

I cannot say why the Christian radio stations are doing it, but I know why Brian is doing it. We need something bright and hopeful to look forward to and celebrate.

The economy is in a major slump. Finances are tight for us (and everyone). Our house has depreciated so much in value that we are unsure how long we will have to live here before it gets back up to what we paid for it. We will soon have a new president who is the most pro-killing-babies (he used the word baby when talking about abortions) in history. We even got a letter from HSLDA (a legal organization which protects homeschoolers and their rights) warning of the troubles which are to come if Obama gets his way with international law (and the lose of parental rights nationwide). Not to mention what kind of laws he might try to pass regarding education.

I can see why so many people are depressed these days! I am so thankful that I have a God who is the same today as he was the day before the election, the day before the economy took a turn for the worse, the day after we bought our house. There is so much joy to be had in Him, that it seems so silly to be sad and depressed about anything.

I was reading a quote from a doctor during the late 1800's. He saw a lot of death. He was a STRONG Christian. He said that he never saw a worldly Christian pass peacefully and joyfully into death.

He went on to talk about how they clung to life. Their focus was/is in the wrong place. And I can see why the people of today are getting so depressed. Their focus is in the wrong place. Just like Peter was able to walk on water as long as he was focused on Christ. But when he took his eyes of Christ, and put it on the circumstances around him, he began to sink. Now I will admit that I can at times (most times) be a worldly Christian. I like things. I like to buy things. I hold onto things.

But God is changing me. I have learned SO MUCH in recent months. I am growing in my walk with Him (rather than being stagnant). I am learning to stop thinking things through so much and start praying things through instead. I am learning to seek God about purchases rather than frivolously spending money. And I am learning to use what I have and being a good steward of it. And I am learning, most importantly of all, to keep my eyes on Christ. I am so looking forward to Christmas this year too! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We've embraced Christmas early this year, mostly because I like to celebrate it leisurely with my kids and not have to pack in everything.