Monday, January 7, 2008

I did it and I feel GREAT!

I was forced to do it. It was a craving that just had to be satisfied and there was just no other option. It was just staring me in the face and I just had to overcome my fear and just do it.

That's right....for the first time in my life, I made croutons. :)

We had some bread that my husband had bought on clearance for Christmas. It was pretty dry. And there is no money in the budget fro croutons. :)

It is amazing how picky you become when you are shopping with cash and you vow to spend ONLY so much cash at the grocery store. Things that I would just grab on a whim, I now realized where part of what was putting us into debt.

The left over rolls were about 25 cents. The little bit of olive oil and herbs I used to flavor the bread was prolly about 25 cents. So I usually pay $3 for our croutons. I made them for just over 50 cents (gotta pay to heat the oven and wash the dishes). :)

I took the brad and cubed it (no easy task considering the bread was pretty dry). I put the cubes into a bowl, drizzled them with olive oil and tossed with herbs (garlic, onion powder, Italian herbs). I pre-heated the oven to 350F and put the coated cubes on a jelly roll pan (love my Pampered Chef) and then turned the oven down to 200 and baked for 15 minutes. Then the oven was turned off and they stayed in there until cool. I was not able to find a RECIPE recipe for these, so this is what I did and it turned out pretty good. I stored them in a ziplock baggie. YIPPEE!!!

No comments: