Friday, May 15, 2009

I Am ... A Learner

SO continuing in the 365 Days of Self Protriats, I am starting out with an I AM series. I will see how far I can go. Yesterday was "I am a Mom." Today is....

I Am A Learner
I AM ... a learner

What mom won't recognize this pose? The one where the child holds up their work and smiles really big? :)

I chose this pose because this is ALWAYS how my children post for pictures of their work. Sometimes they hold it under their face, but always holding it with a GREAT big smile (so proud of their work).

I am a homeschooling mom. And most homeschooling moms I know LOVE to learn! So the other day at a local homeschool co-op I took my hand to learning to watercolor paint still life (along with my kids). This is my first attempt. A blue vase with red carnations. Not my best work, but HEY it was the first time I have EVER done anything like this!

And yes, I love hats! :D Spring/Summer (and Autumn if I can get away with it), I wear my hats! :D

The great thing about being a learner and always learning is that it instills a love of learning in my children. I have my nose in a book just about as much as much oldest daughter does! :D And whenever we goto garage sales or thrift stores, the first place my children (and I) want to goto is the books. Even little JJ (now 3) begs for books and takes extreme pleasure in his bed storytime with Daddy.

The bad thing about books is that you can get so wrapped up in them that you forget to experience life. I will read and read and READ about all the things I want to do (like gardening, being a better keeper at home, etc.) but unless I stop READING and actually DO them, what good does it do me? What good is reading the Word of God if we do not apply it to our daily lives?!?! What books have my kids seen me read, and then not follow through with what I have learned? And are they learning to do the same?

What was great about me doing a watercolor WITH my kids was that they aw Mommy step (waaaaay) out of her comfort zone and DO something. I want my kids to be doers and not just hearers.

I wanna be a YES mom. Too many times growing up, whenever I asked to do something, the answer was either "NO!" or "later" - but later rarely came around. I need to work on saying YES more. So today, in addition to trusting God (and I guess this too is a part of that), I will work on being a yes mom. We will be DOING a lot more in the is house. Not just reading about it.

3 comments:

Monica Wilkinson said...

I love this! You know how much I love to DO - great job on your first watercolor! :)

Wilderness Mama said...

What a very cute picture! And I especially love the way you edited it.....the focal b&w. :) I think you did an amazing job on your water color picture! I'm so proud of you. :) LOL!

Bri said...

Proud of you, baby!