Thursday, January 1, 2009

One Thousand Gifts

At a time where most people are reflecting on what they want to change about themselves or things they would have done differently, there are a few who are counting their blessings.

From One Thousand Gifts:
I am seeing things I have never seen before, atuned and aware of this constant, endless stream of gifts from His hand. I am one waking from slumber....from the stupor of indifference and ignorance. I have sight, fresh and keen---the world is new and full of His gifts.

Too often I miss Him, oblivious, blind. I don't see all the good things that He is giving me, gracing me with, brushing my life with. True, He is everywhere, always. But maybe, before The Gift List, I thought of Him as further off, not so close. When I started to see all the things that I love bestowed upon me, I started to see Him as near, present, everywhere, showering me with good things. Seeing the things I love all around me gives me eyes to see that I am loved, that He loves me.

I do encourage you to Holy Experience.

Here are a few from mine:
#1 The smile on my beloved's face.
#2 The sun setting over the mountains.
#3 White snowflakes that always remind me my sins, though they were like scarlet, are as white as snow.
#4 How ticklish my 5 year old, and how she always lets me tickle her.
#5 The word "Mommy" and how it stirs my heart.
#6 Hymns.
#7 My beloved's gentle hands.
#8 Growing a life inside me.
#9 Nursing that life.
#10 The smell of fresh air.

No comments: