Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Praying the Psalms

If you have never heard of Voddie Bauchman, you are missing out!! You can google "Voddie Bachman" and "aduio" and find lots of FREE online talkings he has given. He even has his own You Tube station! (So does Vision Forum by the way!)

In one that was recently spoken at a homeschooling conference, he mentioned that his family, will at times, read a Psalm and pray through it. I have never heard this before. And the timing could not have been better as Psalms in the book of the Bible I am currently in (yes, STILL in). :)

I am not sure how he does his, and I am sure I could google and find out how others do it. But I was so encouraged by what I came across today during my Bible time that I just had to share.

I am feeling very overwhelmed and stressed right now due to my husband's work and the possible loss of his job. (Your prayers are greatly appreciated.) I am trying to be strong for Brian and the kids.

Anyways, I have been pouring myself into Scripture lately and am realizing it is only through HIS strength that anything can be done. I think the day I finally get that and it STICKS is the day the His work will be completed in me and He will take me home!! LOL!!

I thought you would like to hear my prayer today, based on the Psalm I read today. Psalm 143

Hear my prayer, O LORD,
Give ear to my supplications!
In Your faithfulness answer me,
And in Your righteousness.
My spirit is overwhelmed within me,
my heart is distressed
Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness
for in You I do trust.
Cause me to know the way
in which I should walk
for I lift up my soul to You
Teach me to do Your will
for You are my God.
In Jesus' high and mighty name, Amen.

I am not sure if I did it right, but the peace the immediately filled me afterwards is joy unspeakable! So I wanted to share this little peak into my prayer closet in hopes of encouraging you as well.

2 comments:

KR said...

What a sweet, sweet post :) I love the book Praying The Bible for your Children. Have you heard of it? :)

Kristin
Reclaiming The Home

Deb Burton said...

Hi Paula,
I had starred this post in my reader when it first came out, meaning to quickly get back to it to comment. Alas, as is often the case, out of sight, (temporarily) out of mind.

I wanted to encourage you in your walk while you're dealing with the potential loss of your husband's job. My husband lost his in May of this year, something we were totally unprepared for emotionally and psychologically - financially we were actually OK. No warning, the company just closed its doors.

The transition was difficult, and even now, that he's in a new job, the fallout continues. Talk about reevaluating priorities and financial expenditures.

In the midst of this chaos, which I document in my blog, we determined to stay ever more diligent in our focus on Jesus. We prayed more together as a family, we continued to focus on serving as a family, and we continued to make sure people around us heard us praise His name.

What a process this has been, but doors of witnessing to others as well as further discipling our chidren have come as a result. And none of our needs have gone unmet.

God is good, all the time. He knows what we have need of even if we don't. All we need to do is follow in obedience. The results we need to leave up to Him.

Will be praying for you, sister.
Deb Burton
http://thegreatestmissiontrip.blogspot.com