Sunday, April 15, 2007

My Shawl

Well, here is the finished shawl I mentioned I finished. This picture was taken while my husband was learning about his new position in the company.

I really REALLY liked this type of crochet. The pattern was not only easy to follow, but it was easy to pick up whenever I left off to care or play with the children. And it went REALLY fast!!!

A couple of things I learned. First, the instructions that the pattern gave for 3dc mesh (a separate link ON the page to print) were VERY easy to follow. It starts with the long side because it is easier to decrease than to increase. And it really was (just simple slip stitches)! Also, make sure you recount EVERYTHING, especially before you tie off to start a new skien. I had forgotten this step and realized that I had forgotten to do one full square in the main heart!!! Thankfully, because it was an empty square that should have been solid, I was able to SOMEWHAT easily fill it in with a double crochet (tying on, doing a double crochet and then tying off again. You honestly can only tell when you look REALLY really close! I was pretty proud of myself!!

Other times, I thought I had done it right, but I messed up like three rows back (thankfully near the bottom of the shawl- which is the pointy end). I cannot stress enough making sure to recount!! :)

So onto my next project. A sun hat!
Here is a better picture than what the pattern is. If I was just going by the picture on the pattern, I would not make it. But the picture of the pink and white hat is TOO CUTE!!! Now I had a feeling I could do the shawl (a combo of cross-stitch and crochet - too fun!), but I may actually be getting in over my head on this one!!!

We will see. I am not much in the crocheting mood lately. I really need to get out of this funk I am in. I am reading through Romans right now (Jess goes through a book a month and it is SO ENCOURAGING to read the Bible this way! Check out her sidebar to see what book she is currently in.) and that is really helping.

1 comment:

Shereen said...

Paula, I added your name and project to the Mr. Linky. It came out so nice. I can't believe that just the other day you were doing headbands. ;0) It's also nice to put a face to the name. I am impressed. That hat is also adorable. It looks like a great hat for "taking tea" please get back into your crocheting mood, so you can let me know if the hat is hard or easy. lol I'm sure my girls would love one of those. Thanks for sharing, and I will keep you all in prayer.