Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Enjoying the Children

"The Bible calls debt a curse and children a blessing.
But in our culture we apply for a curse and reject blessings.
Something is wrong with this picture."
Doug Phillips

You know SOMETHING is wrong when you look down at the precious baby you are holding and really find JOY in him and realize that it has been a LONG TIME since you have felt that way.

Now don't get me wrong. I coo and giggle. I play peek-a-boo and patty cake. I do whatever I can to elicit a smile from my little guy. But today, when I got face to face with him, and we rubbed noses together, the feeling of warmth that filled my heart was something I realized had not been as present as it should be.

It seems I have gotten so wrapped up in the day to day things (schooling, cleaning, cooking, crafts, reading, etc.) that I was not taking the time to really SAVOR my time with my children.

You know how to savor. It is what you do when you take a bite of a rich and creamy decadent dessert. Your keep it in your mouth for a few moments before chewing EVER SO SLOWLY. You allow every taste bud absorb the flavor. Every bit of flavor (the vanilla, the chocolate, the hint of strawberry or mint). Then you go back for another bite and replay the whole thing over and over again. And all the while MMMMMmmmmmmmmm'n and aaaahhhhhhhhh'n talking about how great this tastes. And how you wish you could have this every day.

Should we find more pleasure in a dessert than our own children? YIKES! I am going to try to find at last five minutes a day to spend with each child in a joyful way. Savoring them and this time completely.

No comments: