Monday, April 16, 2007

Lessons From Strangers

I seem to have the weirdest run ins with strangers. I had another one two weeks ago that I thought nothing of until yesterday morning at church.

Let me back track to that meeting. You see, I was in a public restroom washing my hands when a woman comes in and puts some Balmex out on the counter and tells me to put some on my lips. I am a BIG germaphobic, so I politely declined.

She then said, "No, you say 'Thank you Ma'am' and put some on your lips." To which I laughed and replied "No thank you Ma'am." I hope I wasn't being derogatory, as I was trying to be sincere.

She then said "We could use more kindness of strangers in this world today." I nodded in agreement and that was that. She put her Balmex back in her purse and left.

So what does all this have to do with a morning in church?

Well, we were rushed for getting out for church, and I did not get to eat breakfast. The girls had eaten a small breakfast, but were still hungry. I had grabbed bars for them, but nothing for myself. As we arrived at church and sat down at the table (we worship in the cafe because that is the only place they allow you to worship as a family at the church we attend, they are not allowed in the main sanctuary), my beloved gave bars to the girls and then took out some cheesy crackers.

Now you have to understand, I REALLY don't like these cheesey crackers.

As he took them out, he had a BIG smile on his face "And in case YOU are hungry, I brought these for you."

OH honey, I thought, how many times I have told you I don't like these?!?!?!

I politely declined. He looked a little hurt. Then he opened up the crackers and placed them before me. Remember the HEART behind your beloved's actions!!!

So I smiled at my beloved, thanked him for his thoughtfulness (we need more kindness in this world) in providing for my needs, and ate the crackers. And you know what? Those crackers didn't taste NEARLY as bad as I remember! Although maybe some of the sweet thoughts I was having about my beloved (and him about me) made those crackers taste so sweet! :D And I was able to bless my beloved by my actions ... my REaction to his blessing me.

No comments: