Tuesday, July 14, 2009

CHEC - Homeschooling - Capture The Vision

Sorry I missed posting on Monday. SOOOO many things I want to do and NOT enough time. Here I continue the notes I took from the homeschooling conference I went to.


Homeschooling - Capture The Vision

Speaker: Kevin Swanson


Mom's usually stop homeschooling because they lack vision.


Character training - obedience and diligence.

Character needs to come FIRST!


A child is al ikea building. The walls are like character. Everything else (take geometry for example) are like wallpaper. Have you ever tried to wallpaper the air? No. You need a wall FIRST.


What is the number one thing talked about in Proverbs? Telling the truth.

What is the number 1 thing millionaires say gave them their wealth? Telling the truth. Second? Diligence.... CHARACTER!


There is a HUGE problem today in schools (both public and sadly in some homeschools) - they are separating God from education.


The bad thing about setting standards is that not all children are the same. The great thing about hoemschooling is that you are able to tailor the education to the child.


Children are relational creatures created by a relational God. They NEED to have that relationship with the Lord that created them.


APPLY what you know! Life should be an integration of your knowledge!


He totally ran out of time on this, but most everything he shared in this talk is in his book _Upgrade_. I knew I wanted the book before I even heard him do this talk (as it was mentioned on the PW list I am on), but after hearing the talk, it just reaffirmed the fact that I needed this book.

No comments: