Tuesday, September 11, 2007

MMP - Tea Party: Hospitali-tea :)

If you are coming here from the Make Mine Pink blog, WELCOME! I hope you will enjoy tea with me! :)

Hospitality is a Christian virtue that has been all but forgotten.

"For many people, hospitality is practiced only to meet their own social needs. Sometimes it is a self-glorifying show to impress other's with one's home or entertainment skills. In contrast, Christian hospitality is humble, sacrificial service." - Alexander Strauch


I love the definition of hospitality. I love using the 1828 version of the Webster's Dictionary. Most all of it's definitions are defined by Scripture.

HOSPITAL'ITY, n. [L. hospitalitas.] The act or practice of receiving and entertaining strangers or guests without reward, or with kind and generous liberality.


It is so easy to get wrapped up in what we think hospitality is, that we give our children the wrong impression. I know that I grew up thinking hospitality was only acceptable if the house was spotless and you knew everyone coming and you only invited the right kind of people. And of course came the praises with showing off your house and collection of board games. And even then, hospitality was reserved for special occasions: birthday and holidays.

Now that I know that is not the kind of hospitality God wants me to show, it is my pleasure to show my daughters how God would have us be hospitable to one another. For in doing so, you might be entertaining angels...

Don't just invite kids to your tea party! While an all kid tea party is sweet and fun, there are plenty of shut-ins, widows, and elderly who would be so glad to come to your daughter's tea party! They need the love of Christ shown to them just as much as the little children do.

And don't allow a house that is in less than perfect condition keep you from hospitality! You can keep the tea to one room in your house that you clean. OR you can host the party on the front porch. OH how I wish we would bring back the front porch! Grab one of those tables you always see at garage sales for $1 (the round ones with three legs). Cover and bring out your chairs! :) You can also have it in your garden or in the backyard. (I will talk more about decorating tomorrow.)

I think a tea party is a wonderful way for children to learn to show Christian hospitality.

  • Make sure to watch your guests cup to see if they need a refill/top off.
  • Ask them about themselves and talk very little about your own self. (If you need help with this, as we all must learn before we can teach, allow your children to see you take interest in the lives of others. A great book to help you is 201 Great Questions by Jerry D. Jones.)
  • Serve others before yourself.
  • Respect your elders and respect others.
  • Give glory and honor to God for His blessings (instead of taking credit for them yourself).
I so hope that you will take the time to plan a tea party with your girls and invite an elderly woman from church (or maybe an elderly neighbor that doesn't get out much).

Again, we cannot teach our daughters something we do not ourselves know. I was never taught hospitality. But here are a few books that will help teach you so you can teach your daughters:

The Hospitality Commands by Alexander Strauch
The Personal Touch: Encouraging Others Through Hospitality by Crabb
L'Abri by Edith Schaeffer
Hospitality With Confidence by Pittman
We Didn't Know They Were Angels: Hospitality Even When It's Inconvenient by Doris Greig
Be My Guest by Vivian Anderson Hall

AND one of my favorite
Open Heart, Open Home by Mains
I am giving away a copy of this wonderful book. To be entered, simply comment on this post that you want to be entered. Advertise on your blog, and get a second entry! Winner to be announced Saturday morning/afternoon. Entries accepted until winner announced.

Tomorrow: Decorating

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

oh-I hope I hope I HOPE, my name is drawn!

Hospitality is a gift and responsibility that I hold very very dear to my heart. What a great collection of book references you have there!

I just wrote a small snippet of a post about hospitality, as we had SURPRISE overnight company this past weekend. I was shocked when a couple who normally lives 5 hours away called 40 minutes away from the house. I was very VERY thankful that the house was tidy and that food was available. Made me contemplate how we should ALWAYS keep our house ready for unexpected company. After all, it is a blessing that should be looked forward to-not a curse (as a messy house might train you to think). As you said, you need not have an immaculate house to show off...but even a room that is tidy will make company feel more welcome.

Also about the contest: I wanted to say thank you for adding another chance to those who post about the contests on their blogs, instead of forcing people to. I never sign up for those type contests because my blog is more of a 'scrapbook for my future family". I don't want my kids to grow up and see all sorts of 'advertisements' for silly, outdated contests. You know? Anyway-just wanted to let you know I appreciated it. Even still-I hope I win! ;-)

La Tea Dah said...

Wonderful thoughts on hospitality. Thank you for sharing them!

Please enter me in your drawing.

Thank you,
LaTeaDah
http://www.gracioushospitality.blogspot.com

Meredith said...

Oh, Paula, this was the BEST theme of all! You did a wonderful job reminding us that the petit fours and Darjeeling are not the most important element of a tea party.

Tracy said...

Paula,
I'm really enjoying your tea party posts. Please enter me in your drawing as I LOVE to practice hospitality. It saddens me so that people are not willing to make a simple meal and invite people into their lives any longer.

AND... I received my package and I am thrilled! You did such a beautiful job with all that you made, and chose for me. Thank you for a beautiful blessing! I have to tell you that my teenage daughter watched with envy as I opened the box. We MUST learn how to crochet. You do such exquisite work!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

What wonderful ideas you have for the children's tea parties! My children are grown, but I have grandchildren!

The books sounds very interesting!

Katherine

Sallie said...

I posted on my blog but somehow forgot to put my name in here...LOL..

God bless,
Sallie

Hopewell said...

I have been hoping to do a Charlotte Mason style tea with my kids. Your post is the "spur" I needed to get it off the ground. I've even put it into my del.icio.us list!
Thanks!
Lisa at http://hopewellmomschoolreborn.blogspot.com/