Monday, September 10, 2007

MMP - Tea Party: The Cups and Saucers


I am so excited for a full week of tea parties!!!!

If you are coming here from the Make Mine Pink blog, WELCOME! I hope you will enjoy tea with me! :)

I am not sure what the others are doing, but being a mom of three little girls (and one boy who I am sure will get dragged into tea parties and dress-up by his sisters despite his protest), I am taking a different approach to the tea party. I hope you will indulge me.

I want to share ways to have fun tea parties with your children, teaching them grace and responsibility, without breaking the bank! :)

First, you need to have the tea set! :)

I used to buy all the plastic tea party sets. And while those are cute and fine, I really started feeling like I wanted MORE for my daughters. The plastic tea sets were played with a lot at first, but even with my encouragement, the tea parties waned and I found myself looking for something more. Especially after reading this article about teaching responsibility using a real tea set.

What better way to train up your daughter to have a proper tea party than with a proper tea set?! :)

Now I am not saying to go out and buy a tea set. That would be way too expensive. And who says that it all has to match perfectly? A friend of my mother's has a different cup and saucer for each guest at her table. Having tea with her was so fun! There was a story behind each place setting! It was so fun to hear the stories behind each tea cup as we drank tea!

So what I have started doing is shopping for tea cups and saucers with my girls. They are only 7yr, 5yr and 4 yr, but it is so FUN to see them get so excited about tea cups! We mostly shop garage sales, thrift stores and recently I started taking my oldest to the antique stores. I can just imagine a few years from now, all us girls sitting around the table drinking tea and talking about how much fun we had buying such and such cup at the antique store! :)

I know that it is also scary to allow your children to hold REAL cups and saucers (compared to plastic), but I cannot tell you the pride and joy they have on their face as they accomplish holding and having tea like a Mommy!! And they are being trained to be responsible young ladies.

So even if you do not have a tea set passed down to you from your grandma, or an expensive set you bought, remember you can still have a very beautiful (though very shabby chic) tea set one cup and saucer at a time. :)

Tomorrow: Teaching Our Daughters Hospitali-TEA! :)

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh, I'm getting excited....

Lydia said...

Paula I so much agree they should use the real thing. A child's tea set is nice, but not as useable, and the real sets with the real thing just thrill the children. It gives them the art of taking tea at an early age almost as if it were bred into them and makes them comfortable with it as teenagers.

Mrs. Cherry Heart said...

Love your blog!
I have 4 grandchildren and I have bought them their own REAL tea sets and I have taught them to enjoy tea and tea parties!

I have 2 grandsons and they each have their own tea sets too! After all they can enjoy tea with their wifes when they get older!

Hugz, Dolly

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

How wonderful...I think it is very important to teach our children and the way they learn is by doing.

Thank you for sharing.

Tina Leavy said...

I hope you have a great time with your daughters at tea time.

Rebecca said...

My-what a handsome lad!

~~Deby said...

Next time I hope to partcipate in the TEA...the blogs and pictures have looked so wonderful
Deby