Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Business and Time Robbers

WOW! I had no idea that actually keeping up on the tasks that I want to accomplish each day can take so much time. Mrs. Bradock in her 24 Hours CD talks about how the things we THINK are important can really rob our time, and I am now realizing just how much time I was robbed of!

For example, my day today consisted of doing adult laundry (anywhere from 2-4 loads depending on how many delicate wash items I have). Then of course the keeping up on dishes (making sure they are rinsed and put in the dishwasher, not just piling up in the sink). And today I also have to mop the kitchen/dining room/entry way floor (they all connect). Then of course I have my 15 minutes decluttering (from the decluttering challenge from the Making It Home group - see the Love and God's Blessing link). Then I am still training the children, playing with them, reading to them and other homeschooling things that I am trying to do.

I have also been spending more time with my husband in the evenings (something which is about to end because work is picking up again). I am thankful that he works from home, but not so thankful for the long hours he (and his co-workers) are having to put in. The deadline is April 15, so my husband will be working late nights again for quite sometime. We are just trying to enjoy our evenings that we have right now before work picks up again. But time with hubby (while great), means again less time on the time robbers.

I am amazed at how much I am fighting this. I mean it feels SO GOOD to have time with hubby in the evenings, to have my children cuddle up with me while I read them a book, to finally be keeping a home! But my inner self is fighting it (I miss scrapbooking, and want to get to my sewing, and want to finish reading my current book, and want to finish my home management notebook, and I want time to read through my list of blogs and to work on my blog, and ...).

But I have noticed that now that I am spending LESS time on the time robbers and MORE time on those things which I am called to that glorify God more than the time robbers, that a lot of things are happening.

First, my children are happy. They are being so much nicer to each other and loving to each other!!

I also notice my girls are more apt to clean up after themselves WITHOUT a reminder from Mommy! THIS IS SO GREAT!

The house is becoming a home. Slowly but surely! I know we have all heard that our house doesn't get this way overnight and it won't be fixed overnight. But with a little bit clean here and there, I can see my home becoming a sanctuary! And I notice that I am happier too! I do need to remember to NOT become all tense and uptight about keeping the house clean. I want my girls to remember to do all things housekeeping wise with a HAPPY and JOYFUL heart. And that comes by example.

My children are becoming so creative! Or maybe they have always been creative but I was so busy with time robbers that I never noticed. That really hurts my heart to admit.

Well, hopefully this will encourage someone.

And now for something completely different, and article which might encourage you:
Busy as A Backward Bee Proverbs 31:27 from Laine. I love getting her email (when she sends them out) as they are always so encouraging.

No comments: