Monday, March 13, 2006

Cleaning and Music Lessons

First, I must mention that OreoSouza has added part 2-4 updating her ARE WE SAFE series (I posted a direct link below in Very Important Read). Now back to our regularly scheduled program. LOL!

So I am reading the book Home Grown Kids and in the section for 5-6YR (my oldest just turned 6) it talks about making music.

My children have always been around music. I sang to them in the womb. I sing to them throughout the day. Often, when we are on vacation and I need them to goto sleep in the hotel room I will sing hymns to them. I also play a variety of music for them (classical, hymns, children's worship, Scripture, etc.).

My 4YR and 6YR frequently make up their own songs about anything and everything. I think they got that from their Daddy. He would make up the silliest songs about how much he loved them and about what he was doing (like bath time or getting dressed).

So the book talks about playing a "rhythm" game. Clap, clap, rest. Clap, clap, rest. Can you do what Momma just did?

So while we were cleaning yesterday, I thought I would try it with my oldest (as the other two were running around and not really cleaning). I was in the kitchen cleaning and she was in the living room cleaning.

Me: Hey 6YR. Wanna play a game while we are cleaning?
6YR: (excitedly) YES!
Me: I am going to do something musically and you are going to try to repeat it. So if I go (with mouth) DO-BE-DO (pause/rest) DO-BE-DO (pause/rest) You would do ???
6YR: DO-BE-DO DO-BE-DO (no pause/rest)
Me: Very close. Listen again. DO-BE-DO (pause/rest) DO-BE-DO (pause/rest)
6YR: DO-BE-DO (pause/rest) DO-BE-DO (pause/rest)
Me: EXCELLENT! Do you wanna try another one?
6YR: OH YES!

This went on and on for quite some time! I tried to "tease" her that I was going to "get" her and think of a rhythm she could not get. But she got all of them. Sometimes there was a slight variance in her reply and I would encourage her to listen closely and try again. She always got it the second time. It was too much fun! And the cleaning was done before we knew it!

Oh, I forgot to mention that the 4YR heard so much giggling that she came over and tried to play too. Nope - you HAVE to be cleaning to be able to play. So off she went to get some toys to help clean the living room! And she did really well with the game too. Of course she either repeated after sister repeated (if it was a difficult one) OR she got to go first for an easier one.


On a side note, I have also started doing this with simple addition for the 6YR. I also come up with critical thinking questions like "What is big, and brown with green and grows?" They answer "a tree." Does anyone know where I can get some FREE critical thinking questions that are good for 2YR, 4YR and 6YR?? As you can see from the above example, mine are NOT the best. LOL!!

No comments: