Thursday, March 20, 2008

When $1 Isn't Just A Dollar

As you know, my beloved and I have been doing a major overhaul on our finances and how we spend. I have finally accepted my role in the part of finances and am looking for better deals at the grocery store as well as being more frugal and investing.

I realize that a major problem I had with spending was I was rationalizing my spending with "Oh it's only a dollar."

But it is not only a dollar. Let's say I invest that dollar at 8% interest never adding to it. Over a period of 20 years (when beloved is likely to retire based on age), that one dollar would be $5. Doesn't seem like much, does it.

But let's say that every month for 20 years, I add that dollar - that just a dollar - to my investing account (a total of $12 a year). At the end of 20 years I would have $577! :)

So I have learned to see my $1 not just as a dollar anymore, but as $577. And am I really willing to part with $577 for that candy bar to satisfy my chocolate craving? I DON'T THINK SO! :)

No comments: