Saturday, February 25, 2006

Time

I am amazed at just how much time I THINK something will take. "I don't want to spend an hour doing the dishes!" So off I go to do something else, allowing the dishes to continue to pile up higher and higher until it does take literally an hour to clean them.

I have been trying to keep up with the dishes. "Shiny Sink" Flylady thing. And also just trying to be responsible to put things where they belong when I am done with them. Dirty dishes need to be rinsed and put in the dishwasher, not just left in the sink.

But last night after dinner, I looked at the dishes and pot (cast iron which means a little more time to clean) and said "that will take too much time." But I had done well keeping up on the dishes for two nights now. So I set to it. And do you know how long it look? SEVEN MINUTES! A whole lot less than the hour I had imagined/exaggerated in my mind.

One of the things I have always liked about Flylady (and notice that a lot of others have this too) is the use of the timer for 15 minutes to clean. "Set the timer for 15 minutes and do it. You can do ANYTHING for 15 minutes!"

When I set my timer and actually work on cleaning ANYTHING, I find that I not only did do that mammoth task I assumed would take forever, BUT I am able to do so much more! Oftentimes I find myself needing to find something else to clean as my 15 minutes are not over yet.

I bought a timer that has a string so that I can wear it around my neck (I could not always hear the kitchen timer when I was in a different room). It has been exceptionally nice, and I find it an encouragement to actually do the cleaning. Whenever I feel that it will take too much time, I just set the timer and go at it. And I find I get MUCH more done than I had expected.

In the CD Twenty Four Hours Is All You Get, Mrs. Bradrick talks about how we need to be careful about the time we think something will take. If you schedule an hour to do the dishes, it will take an hour to do them. She warns that we can spend unnecessary time doing necessary things. It really does make you think.

No comments: