Thursday, June 19, 2008

Pleasure

We were created for God's pleasure. EVERY THING was created for God's pleasure. After God created each and everything, He commented that it was good.

I have to admit that I don't think I am always a pleasure to God. I have my moments of disobedience and luke-warmness towards God. And yet, I know, because He tells me, that I was created to be a pleasure to Him.

That really does make me stop and think before each action I do and word I say. Is what I am about to do/say going to please God? Will it bring glory and honor to Him?

And I am brought to think about my children. The Bible says that children are a blessing. And yet the world views them as more of a curse:

it takes so much money to care for them
it takes time and self sacrifice to care for them
they are selfish children who rebel

And I have to think about it. There are several verses in Proverbs that talk about what a curse a disobedient son is to his father and mother. In today's society, where the parents are not doing their God given job of raising and caring for their children, their children ARE becoming curses.

But that does not mean that they were not born as a blessing.

Contrast that to children raised in a Christ loving, God-fearing home. Most (not all) of them grow up to honor their parents. They do not rebel or do the typical "teenage" things. They are a true blessing to their parents. And do not become a curse to them.

I want my children to know they are a blessing. I want them to know they were created for God's pleasure. I notice that whenever I am talking to them about God and His purpose for them, they are more likely to behave in a way that follows His word. And I want to live my life in a way that is pleasing and honoring to my Heavenly Father.

No comments: