Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Applying Finances to Time Management

If at the end of the week, month, year we are looking and wondering where did all the money go...

Don't we sometimes do the same thing with our time? At the end of the day we wonder where all our time went. Twenty four hours is all we get. We need to make the most of that time.

In order to know where the money goes, you need to TELL it where to go...down to the PENNY. (Otherwise known as a budget.) So why can't we do the same thing with our time? We need to tell ourselves what to do with our time. If we don't, we end up losing it and wondering where it all went.

Now I am not saying this is for everyone. I am sure there are those out there who never wonder where their time went because they have an abundance of it. But if you are like me, I am flustered at the end of the day wondering where the time went. This has been my answer.

When learning something new, you don't always get it right the first time. But that does not mean to give up. I have tried schedules in the past and when they didn't work, I gave up on it. Rather I need to PRAY about it and then revise it and continue pressing on! :) It is OK that it is not perfect, and it is OK to change and modify it as needed.

It took us from Jan 1 until April 1 before we FINALLY have a budget that is working for us! And as soon as we finish paying off this second mortgage, which will be happening faster now that we are telling our money where to go, we will actually be able to build up our emergency fund AND max out at least ONE of the ROTH IRA's!!! :) Something that would not be possible if we had not stuck with it, was flexible and willing to change AND WAS DEDICATED to making it work.

So why not apply what I am learning with finances to my time as a wife, mother and woman of God? My days have gone much smoother when I am following the schedule I have planned out. Of course, with JJ and doctor appointments, we are having to be pretty flexible right now. And there are also days where I just don't feel like following the schedule. But when I do, I have a more peaceful day, the kids are better behaved (and happier too), and I get done what I WANT to get done (in addition to the NEEDS). :) Maybe it will work for you too. :)

No comments: