Monday, May 1, 2006

Girls Will Be Girls

I am not sure how many of you read stuff by the Pearl's. I know that there are some things that a lot of people take issue with, BUT I do encourage you to read their stuff about chores and children. I also have learned a lot about allowing girls to be girls.

They have a LOT of stuff about allowing boys to be boys. I always wondered why there was really nothing about developing girls into girls (it is probably because girls are so apt to follow Mommy in everything that they automatically learn and become like their Mother - however good or bad that may be).

Well, I forgot what I was reading or watching or listening to, but Mr. Pearl mentioned that while he was in the barn showing the boys how to do something boyish, the girls were in the corner setting up a table with a tablecloth and such.

I thought what a great idea! So I brought out some cheap blankets I had made when I was practicing making hems. I also brought out a table. The girls each have their own tea set (yes, they are plastic right now, and we don't use real liquid, but I am thinking once they turn 7, they will get to use Momma's tea set). They have been happily busy putting table cloths on the table and setting up parties for their babies and each other.

I also started taking them out with me to help me buy flowers for the dining table. I cannot tell you how much JOY it brings them to help set up the home!

And it has been nice for me too. It is much easier to keep the dining room clean when you have a beautiful bouquet of flowers on the table encouraging you! Almost like Flylady's shiny sink! And it encourages the girls to clean too.

No comments: