Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Crocheting vs Knitting

So in the TODKAH book, it has to learn knitting first. I have recently checked out a book Mary Frances Knitting & Crocheting Book after reading a review by a fellow homesteading blogger (can't remember who). In the book, it starts with teaching crochet instead of knitting. It explains that because ccrochet is just a bunch of knots, it is easier to learn. So, I figured I could switch Knitting I with Crochet I. That is the GREAT thing about buying TODKAH on CD. I can print out Crochet I and put it in the first year notebook.

I have decided to create a notebook for each year. Right now, because I am currently in year one, I am printing out one section at a time and putting it in the notebook. I have printed our the Gardening (which I totally changed the lessons because the All New Square Foot Gardening is so different than the original that the lessons didn't go with the book anymore - I will post my revised lessons sometime soon) and the GodlyWomanhood sections. Now instead of the Knitting I section, I am going to print out the Crochet I section.

So yesterday, I bought a crochet hook for myself and for my daughters. I went to work following the directions in the Mary Frances book and made my first chain! The girls were SO EXCITED to see the hooks and yarn and they really want to learn. I am not sure about the younger two (ages 3yr and 4yr), but I am pretty sure the 6yr can pick up on it.

I still have a LOT of practice to do. I am so used to cross-stitch and making everything so tight that it is difficult to make loose chains. I also am having difficulty with knowing exactly what loop to go through so that I am making a square and not a triangle (which is the direction I used to head in when I would try to crochet before). So far I am really enjoying learning through the book (although I must admit that there is a section in the beginning of the book that I don't like where the actions and attitudes of a character are not appropriate).

And even though the younger ones might not be able to do anything yet, I know that just by having the hook in their hands, that they will eventually be GREAT at crocheting.

No comments: