Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Titus 2 and Loving Our Children

In a recent post, I cried out for a blog that talked about loving our children. I came across this two part post (Part I Part II) this evening which talks about this very thing.

I also want to point out that this is a subject which really needs to be talked about! I am very thankful to have a Titus 2 woman in my life. But even there, I sometimes fear talking about loving my children.

Why is there such fear in admitting that we need help in this area? God would not have called for a teaching in this area if we had it all together in this area and didn't need help.

I think part of it is a fear of not looking good. No one likes to be looked down upon. Especially for something that is SUPPOSED to be natural! It's easy to love that brand new baby who needs you and loves you unconditionally. But the two year old who is throwing yet another temper tantrum, or the 4 year old who really should be potty trained by now is not as easy to love. That is when a choice is made to love them. And some days it's just not that easy! And that is a difficult thing to admit.

I mean, if my house is messy, I can admit that without fear (for the most part) because we all have difficulty keeping house, right? But mention that I am losing patience with my kids and really need some help loving them today and BAM! What's wrong with you? All of the sudden I have the plague and people are running from me like crazy!

It is OK to admit that we fall in this area! And it is OK to encourage other mothers in this area even when you don't have it all together! HOW can we strengthen one another in this area if no one is willing to talk about it? Whether it be admitting that there is a problem or encouraging a mother who is just so plain tired and feels worthless because she yelled at her kids yet again, let's talk!

Please tell me I am not alone in this. And let us encourage one another.

I will admit that our first day with the Love Is Patient lesson has been very hard on me. I did not realize how frequently I lose my patience with the children. I do need to train them not to point it out to me the way they are (I swear I heard it at least 10 times today from each of my children at least once, "Mommy you need to be more patient with me."). But at least they are learning what patient means. :) Now that they know what it means, I should see them apply it more often, right? :)

Oh Lord, please give me patience with my children. And with my husband. I know my lack of patience permeates every aspect of my life. Help me to be a better mother tomorrow. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

No comments: