Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Learning 2 Love - Kind

"Love is .... kind" - 1 Corinthians 13: 4

Sorry this late, we have a little sick one over here. :(

So, last week's lesson on patient was VERY difficult, mostly because Momma is so impatient. I wonder if impatience is learned or just part of the fallen nature of man? Hmmm....

This week is Love Is KIND.

Webster's 1828 Dictionary defines KIND (a) as:

1. Disposed to do good to others, and to make them happy by granting their requests, supplying their wants or assisting them in distress; having tenderness or goodness of nature; benevolent; benignant.

God is kind to the unthankful, and to the evil. Luke 6.

Be ye kind one to another, tender-hearted. Eph.4.

2. Proceeding from tenderness or goodness of heart; benevolent; as a kind act; a kind return of favors.

Since the word benevolent was used TWICE in this definition, I looked up that word too.

BENEV'OLENT, a. [L. benevolens, of bene and volo.]

Having a disposition to do good; possessing love to mankind, and a desire to promote their prosperity and happiness; kind.


I must admit that I really like looking up the definition of these words. For so long, I have just ASSUMED I knew what they meant, but by looking them up, I get a better understanding of the word and how to apply it to my actions! It has probably been the BEST thing I have done. And I would not have done it had I not started a blog and if I was not doing the L2L study with my children.

So I described being kind to my children as doing good to others and trying to make them happy by giving them the BEST and granting their request (in other words, when someone wants to do something or asks you for something, give them your BEST in that).

We talked about ways we could be kind to each other. It is amazing to see how well the children are learning kindness. It seems easier to understand and apply. Maybe that is because their Daddy and I have always tried to be kind to our children and each other.


I must admit that is seems MUCH easier to show kindness to one another than patience. We will have to continue to work on patience throughout ... I was going to say this study, but honestly, I think it is our entire lives! I have already seen a lot of kindness these past two days. I am so thankful for this study! I hope you are being blessed by it as much as I am.

And please feel free to share if you are going through with us and what YOU are doing!! :) I know the picture cards are not the highest quality, but they are helpful to my children as reminders and I pray they are helpful to yours as well. Remember you can right click and save as on the image and print it out on cards for your children.

I think I am going to put a smiley face on each child's card whenever they show love in kindness to one another. They brought happiness to the other person in their kindness, and I think it would be good to have a visual reminder of how happy they have made everyone throughout the week.

No comments: