Wednesday, March 21, 2007

She works with her hands ...

I am teaching myself to crochet. My sister's mother in law said that the best way to learn was through a booklet, so she gave me a copy of the booklet and away I went. I did a few stitches here and there, but soon put it away in planning for our move to our new house.

Well, spring is in the air, and I was inspired by Rebecca to actually DO something CREATIVE! She has been making the CUTEST things lately. And so I dug out my crochet supplies and started working.
This is actually a pattern for a blanket, but I thought "I need I need something to finish fast and this isn't gonna do that, but HEY, this is looking a little bit like a headband! Instead of doing all 84 rows, I can do a few more and if I were to add elastic to the ends of this, it could be a HEADBAND!!" And thus, my little headbands were born.
The girls absolutely LOVED them and begged Momma to make more and more! :) And the great thing about this is I can customize them to FIT their heads! The ones I have seen in the store just seem too big for them. I am so glad they like their headbands.

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

What a FABULOUS idea! Wow! That is So great! And I think it is SO great that you taught YOURSELF how to crochet! I tried and tried to learn from a book but just couldn't get it until someone showed me. Guess that goes to show I am a hands-on learner!

I love these and might try my hand at them soon too. It would look adorable to make pastel ones for each of the girls to match Easter dresses!

Good job!

PS-Thanks for using my shoutbox...I was about to get depressed just like you did! ;-)

Sharon said...

How beautiful! You did a great job in creating the headbands!

Anonymous said...

Those are adorable. It gives me hope that someday I may be able to crochet or knit. I've tried a computer CD for knitting but didn't get very far. I wonder if crocheting is easier. I think it's great you can do these things with your hands. :)

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

Those are adorable!! Great job. My daughter would have a great time with those.

Not the Waltons said...

Sometimes it is easier to start out with a smaller project and work your way up to the bigger projects, these headbands are absolutely wonderful!

I really enjoy your posts and have been lurking for quite some time now (I like to feel out a blog before joining in!) Anyway, you are a wonderful blessed lady!

Tons of blessings!

Jess Connell said...

Very cute- and particularly practical because of the elastic! I need to try that... I made a couple for my daughter, but didn't even think about using elastic, and they really don't have the "give" that I'd like. That's a great idea- and makes them look very professional.

What a Proverbs 31 woman~ :)

Shereen said...

Wow, look at you!! You did great. I understand with wanting to have a finished something quickly. lol I think the headbands were a great idea. As far as Sew Crafty Friday, it's okay even if you posted it Wed. because the link on my blog will be to that specific post no matter what day it is. ;0) I will do it for you if you want.

Shereen said...

I linked you up, so that the 3 readers I have ;0) come come check out your snazzy headbands. I am going to have to try those. I'm sure Kayla will try her hand at them as well.

Shereen said...

oops, I meant "can come"

Lisa said...

Those are great! I love the colors and I can see why your girls would be so pleased with them. I'm going to give crocheting a try soon. :o)

Have a wonderful weekend. :o)

Roberta said...

Hi Paula, I popped over from Shereen's.
These are adorable! What a fabulous idea, my girls would love them!
Finally a project, besides washclothes, that I can finish in a short amount of time. :)