Monday, March 5, 2007

Trashy Parenting

Oh I love the title of Rocks in My Dryer's newest post Trashy Parenting.

Here is just a blurb:
And then, in a rare moment of inspired parenting, I made a deal with them. "You can keep each of these things, but you have to spend 30 minutes playing with that item, and that item alone, tomorrow."

There were looks of bewilderment all around, while they tried to imagine what they could do with a headless action figure for half an hour. "If it's fun enough to keep, it's fun enough to play with for 30 minutes," I explained.

And wonder of wonders, the WHOLE BOX went into the trash, without argument. Can it be that I've finally found a way to inspire them to throw things away? I'm filing this one away to use again.
Oh too funny. I love this idea of what to say when they want to keep everything! I know that for myself, every Sunday (when we remember) we have the children each get rid of one (or more) toys. Makes it easier for them (sometimes) then giving way a lot of stuff at once. And since we are working on decluttering ONE (or more) things a day, it shows the children that we are in a constant need of re-evaluating what we own.

Hopefully, one day we will reach a point where we are content with all we have. If we truly NEED something, that is the only time we will buy it, and when we do, we will get rid of something(s) in order to make new room for it. And the wants will be far and few between and will mostly be things that attribute value to our lives (through beauty and godliness).

No comments: