Thursday, November 8, 2007

Crafting with Children

Between two GREAT sites (Me And My Girl and Scrumdilly-Do, I am finally getting up the courage to do some fun crafty things with the girls! I have LOTS of other kid craft sites under Sites To See (right hand sidebar), but sometimes a new one gets you up and going. :D

When I come to a craft idea I think the girls will like, I print it out (instead of just saving it on the computer like I used to). Then I put it in a notebook JUST for these sorts of things. On Monday, I look in the notebook and pick something to do. I make sure I have the items I need and if not, I go and buy them. There is always a clearance section in any craft store (even in the craft section of Walmart). Sometimes, when funds allow, I stock up so I have the items at a great price for FUTURE things. Then I plan the day of the week to do it, and we do it! YEAH!

Merideth has the most wonderful blog. I have really cut back on my blog reading, but hers is one that I catch up on almost daily (at least weekly). She always has great posts that really make you think about how you spend your time and money. This post is a wonderful one about cheap entertainment. Be sure to read through the comments! Good ideas there!

But that post really allowed me to spend a little money on stuff I normally would have not. Buy the artistic palate for the Marshmallow Paintings and the marshmallows (we already had the food coloring) and have a day full of fun and good memories. All for under $3! That is $1 per child right now! :)

And don't forget about FreeCycle when needing craft supplies! It is amazing what people are willing to give away! :)

I already have some fleece I got REALLY cheap last year at a garage sale that will be PERFECT for an easy to make scarf!

I must admit that I have always wanted to do more things with the girls, but have been scared. Scared that there will be SUCH a mess (see my cleaning post from yesterday). Scared that they will not make a perfect item (and how will that reflect on me as the Momma). I find it sad that I really do find some sort of worth in my children. I want them to look good because in some way it makes me look good. Their bad behavior reflects poorly on me as a mother. And if they wear something that they made, which is going to be FAR from perfect, then what will others think?

Oh Lord, please remove this attitude from my heart and mind! Allow me to find worth in You, so that my children will learn to find worth in You and not in things of this world.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I love your prayer--that was better than my whole post!