Thursday, March 16, 2006

Reading the Bible to your children and a side note on finances

Well, now that the kids are over their double bout of illness (first respiratory something, then stomach something), I have been hit hard with both at once. YUCK! I feel absolutely AWFUL.

On a side note (nothing homeschool related, but definitely scary enough to check out), see if you can get and activate a credit card by taping up a torn application. THIS IS SCARY.

On the bright side, I see that my kids are actually learning stuff! Even though I am sick as a dog. My 2yr is looking through word books on her own and pointing out and "reading" words. My 4yr is "reading" by repeating what she remembers the book says. "This says 'please' Momma!" And our 6yr is doing the same, not to mention she actually REMEMBERS what each page says, so she is actually able to "read" the book to her sisters (which is so nice).

They are also doing art projects on their own. Not just coloring, but they are doing those thick foamy things (you know, those door hangers and they have self-adhesive foamy things to put on the foamy door hangers. LOL!! 6yr is actually putting WORDS on hers!

And something I thought would NEVER happen has happened. Our 6yr asked me to read to her from the actual Bible! Now you have to understand, our home used to be filled with picture watered down Bible stories. And every time we would try to read from the actual Bible, we would hear whining about how boring it was.

We have emphasized time and again to her that these are not true to God's word (for example, things were left out or simplified). So today, she asked me to read her the story of Moses because she wanted to know the TRUE story because the books lie and leave out and change stuff. PRAISE GOD! She is learning!

I so wish I wasn't sick. I could only read the first three chapters of Exodus. She sat and listened to it all! Even asking questions!! It was great, and I was so sad I had to stop at chapter 4. But 6yr was content. She just put a bookmark right there to pick up where we left off.

All this hopefully encourages you to NOT give up trying to read the Bible to your children. I know from experience that whenever the oldest child gets excited about something, it doesn't take long for the younger ones to follow behind!

No comments: